Thursday, July 11, 2019

Experiences

The fruit vendor in front of the house was missing for a few days. He said that he received a call that his mother had fallen and that he was called home 40 kms away. She had been managing her affairs so far but might need help now. She was 95. That typifies an average Indian, taking care of the aged parents.
It was 1987. The BBC channel was on. A woman was bemoaning that her mother was not taken care of well in the old age home. That shocked me. Why did she not take care of her mother? That is western culture.
Crazy Mohan describes how he was part of a joint family and how he owed his success to the training in the joint family. Joint families were the norm till the twentieth century beginning perhaps. They did not produce many Crazy Mohans, but carried on producing crazy people, some may say. People got on with bickering and friction, but got on. There is no going back to joint family system now.
We are now progressing. Families have gone nuclear by and large since there is no NPT for families. Old age homes are on the rise.
A senior colleague has described his experience in selecting a match for his son in the form of a skit.
Husband, wife and son went to see a girl.
The girl asked the boy during the interaction, ‘What about these things?’
The boy was puzzled and asked, ‘Which things?’
The girl pointed to his parents.
The boy was annoyed, but replied politely, ‘They will be with me of course.’

The girl said, ‘That settles it. We will part as acquaintances. Do not bother. We will not charge you for the refreshments.’

Madras Nalla Madras

That was a song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMzW_hrs2Us) in a movie.

‘Pattanam’ (city) is the word used in the ordinary man’s parlance for Madras. There is another song ‘Pattanamthan pogalamadi pombale’ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP9WPo0iWYE).

Pattikada pattanama is yet another song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaT9m9SzjMI).

Pattanama Pattikada was a film.

I thought a filmy introduction would attract readers.

I moved from pattikadu (village) to pattanam (Madras) in 1957 for studies. For the next ten years I lived in Madras during school/college days and in the village during vacations for a week or longer. It is difficult for me to answer ‘pattikada pattanama’. I would like to call myself pattikadu to invite sympathy. A classmate of mine pushed me a century behind, not just ‘pattikadu’, still more backward.

I want to write my humdrum impressions on Madras. I lived there from 1957-1969, 1974-1978, 1985-1987, and in 2007 – in all 19 years of my life of 73 years. Bengaluru comes next - 18 years running, followed by Mumbai – 10 years. I choose ‘Madras’ as it was so called in the times I was there mostly.

The first impression that I recollect is rikshas – hand-pulled and cycle rikshas. I used to hire them as a boy whenever the distance was long or I had heavy baggage. The charge was decided by ‘beram’ (haggling). It did not trouble me that I was using human labour for my personal comfort. The rikshavala will keep shouting ‘oram po’ (move to the side) to make way for the risksha.

Drinking water was scarce and corporation taps were the source. Water would come in the morning and evening for one or two hours and there would be a queue of people and vessels of all types at the taps. Some altercations were routine.

Cinema as movies were called in common man’s lingo was an attraction, but it was ‘bad’ to see a movie, a belief that suited a light purse more than orthodox perception. Occasionally, my aunt would take me to some films she watched, rather rare. There were too many theatres around, Crown (next to the Mint where no minting seemed to be taking place), Krishna near a crematorium, significant perhaps, Murugan, Regal, Broadway, Prabhath, Bharath. Krishna was perhaps a tad better than the others. Lower middle class and poorer sections patronised these theatres. (An uncle of mine was critical about calling them ‘theatre’, which must be used for drama hall; it is ‘cinema’, he would say). Better placed people went to theatres in Mount Road perhaps.

One thing that comes to mind about Madras is the beach, touted as the second largest beach. It was yet to become a statue-yard or graveyard. Even the portion near the railway track was still accessible to the public and was called high court beach as it was close to the stately high court building which was partly damaged by Emden bombing. It housed then the light house which was open for public viewing. It was fun going up the spiral staircase.

Talking of theatres, an incident pops up in mind. When the slew of statues were being out up in the sixties, I shared a feeling with my professor, ‘Why have they not included U.V.Swmainatha Iyer, who took great pains to unearth Tamizh works?’ He laughed and said, ‘Do not say it aloud. You will be mocked at. There is already a statue for him in the University campus, and people used to joke about the crows perching there and excreting.’

The zoo was close to the Central station abutting the railway line. It was an apology for a zoo. At that time, the zoos in Calcutta, Hyderabad and Thiruvananthapuram were better, I think. I have not visited the Vandalur Zoo. Poor animals!

Moor Market was in a Victorian building (since demolished with railway booking office housed there). One went there for second-hand books and curios.

The fourteen story building of LIC became the first sky scraper of Madras in the sixties, I think. It was an attraction, but I never went up.

The George Town (GT) area is a crowded place. You will bump into someone if not careful. Noise was constant inside a many-tenanted dungeons called houses and outside with variety of traffic including cattle. In fact, in the street just behind our house there was a cattle shed and we used to get milk from that owner who seemed to get water without any hassle.

Kothwal Chavadi was the whole sale vegetable market situated in the ground belonging to Kannika Parmeswari temple. Occasionally I have gone there with my uncle. The vendors used to cheat in quality and weight. Flower and fruit wholesale market was near Esplanade where the bus stand for buses plying to outstation areas was also situated. The law college and law courts were nearby and lawlessness everywhere.

I used to catch a bus in the bus stand to my village and also go and wait for the rice that would be sent by my father in a bus. I would sit on the low compound wall near the LIC building that was there and watching out for the bus. Getting out the bag from atop the bus using a coolie and taking it home employing a riksha was one of my chores.

Madras Tamizh is a speciality one should not miss. It has been the butt of comedy in many plays and films, after Brahminical expressions. Coming from North Arcot, it was not quite strange to my rustic ears. One thing Madrasis have been dismissive about is ‘hair’ and my badness is partly explained by it.

Commuting by bus used to be an ordeal. After the incentive was introduced, buses were crammed worse than pens. The conductor would ask everyone to move in, and often that would be possible only with some moving out through the front exit opening. The conductors were good whistlers, the whistle given being used occasionally. The bus would be stopped before every stage for issuing tickets. The conductor would be a good juggler with deft fingers, with ticket books and currency notes stacked in the space between fingers. The finger in the free hand will move between the tongue and the ticket every time a ticket was issued. Anyone who gave a currency note like a hundred rupee, will be labelled a candidate for death (savu girakki). The driver for his part would address any cyclist etc. crossing his path as someone who has a death wish (oottile sollikinu vanduttiyaa). The driver was nearly an acrobat. He would start and stop the vehicle in a way even a healthy person may suffer heart strain. The accelerator would be used as horn also. He would keep the clutch pressed and accelerate, and anyone would think that the bus was going to run over them.

I came to know much later that GT had the abodes of people like S S Vasan, Dhanammal, Patnam Subramania Iyer, and so on. Obviously, living in GT alone does not lead you to fortune or fame!



11/11/18
He sells vegetables. Lean and of middle height, he owns a small tempo and is seen in the morning near the park. The walkers-cum-talkers stop by and buy vegetables when they return home.
He is not too educated, but knows enough Maths to count the money, enough economics how to price his goods, enough management as to what to trade that day, where to buy and how to transport it, enough inventory management skill not to carry over the perishable, enough articulateness to have minimal conversation with his customers.
One day, a customer haggled. He told him, ‘It is one price for all.’ Another day a customer suggested that he put placards of prices on the items. He said, ‘Not done.’
He trusts people and does not mind being paid later or giving the change later. He does not ask. You return and he says, ‘OK.’ You demand the deferred balance and he gives without any demur.
He seems happy. He did not complain even when demonetization dampened business.
He earns to live and his possessions must be modest. He may not have any superannuation package, maybe not even superannuation. He may believe or may not believe in god. But, he is not in knots as to why we live and what will happen tomorrow, let alone after death. From my convoluted brain, it seems that his life is spiritual. I may be making up a story, but I like it.


May 07, 2015
Attitude
I was travelling in a crowded suburban train in Bombay (as it was then). A group of office-goers were playing cards. That is a speciality of Mumbai, people playing cards even standing. One of the players was smoking. Right behind where he was sitting, the notice was there- No Smoking. I pointed out to him the notice. He turned back, saw it and said, ‘likhnewala likta hai’, and got busy with his play.
Another day, I objected to a person smoking in the train and he took out of his pocket a rupee hundred note, waved it and said, ‘I have the money to pay the fine.’
In Bengaluru recently, a passenger was about to throw out the window a used ticket and I told him, ‘Please do not throw it; it is our city.’ He threw and said, ‘Why are the corporation people not doing their job? Let them do.’
An Indian wanted to engage a cab in UK, and there was one too many for the allowed number for a cab. He pleaded with the cab driver to take them as one was a child. The cab driver replied, ‘We make rules here to obey them.’
There was an officer posted abroad, a senior who retired as GM, who I believe used to buy clothes and return them after a week as return was possible there. He used to enjoy new clothes free until the store noticed it.

Monkey plays guest


I was doing something in the kitchen and was engrossed in my work. I turned for a second toward the microwave oven, I do not remember why (when you read on you will understand how it might have easily slipped from my mind even if I had indeed a purpose for that), and what do I see there? A monkey, of course, seated comfortably on the platform next to the microwave in the space made for it, as it were, by amma. (She had removed the mixy in order to work on the grinder). The monkey had entered the kitchen unobtrusively through the balcony window kept wide open as an informal invitation to it, shall I say?
I have been dull-witted even in reading the minds of higher mortals like humans (I am confident that the monkey won’t read this and take umbrage at the statement that humans are higher mortals). How was I to divine what went behind the mind of a monkey? For all I knew, it was from Pakistan with hidden weapons of mass destruction. I did not know how to shoo it away. I sort of had learnt the noises to make in respect of crows (coosh), dogs (vettu), etc., but not for a monkey. It is a different issue whether the animals learnt the terms we coined for them. I was all nerves and thought at first of throwing the sugar container, but better sense prevailed even in that emergency that it would only sweeten the kitchen floor. Moreover, it was no match for WMD the monkey perhaps had in its arsenal. It would be more like the soldier in ‘Arms and the Man’ of Shaw, carrying chocolates in his pocket in the place of bullets.
I decided that I should rush out of the room (having worked in a reputed institution for a long time, it has got deeply ingrained in me that fleeing the scene of conflict is the most discreet step to be taken by an astute manager) to look for a stick. My sense was with me and I remembered that patti usually kept some stick with her. My plan worked. I saw an acrylic pipe used as a stick by her. I took hold of it and returned to the scene of action.
My mind was not idle meantime. The discourse of one Sastrigal on Ramayana flashed in my mind. He was narrating how, during one such discourse, a monkey entered and occupied a vantage point. He felt unsettled as also the audience. The monkey sat through quietly for some time and then slunk away without inflicting any harm. The audience came to terms after the menace disappeared to conclude that it was Hanuman who came on the scene. The Sastrigal recited a stanza that says that wherever Ramayana is narrated, Hanuman is present. I did not want to leave anything to chance. Maybe Hanuman was pleased to pay a visit to our house also though Ramayana was not even in my mind at that time. Nevertheless I recited a sloka praising Hanuman in my mind. All this happened in a trice.
When I returned I saw amma slamming the door of the kitchen. She perhaps thought that she was confining the monkey in the kitchen as if she was Mumbai police catching Kasab. I was furious. How could she leave the kitchen at the sole disposal of the monkey? (The thought of Hanuman had flashed out as easily as it came).
We have the philanthropic practice of leaving everything in the kitchen open for flies and mosquitoes, ants and cockroaches. Now one more species has been added in the list of our donees. The monkey would have a field day, I thought in anger. Anger was my surrogate emotion for fear. In physics we have read about the transformation of one form of energy to another, which has made several inventions possible. We can in like manner transform one emotion to another, though the simile falls short of completeness as in my case it resulted in annoyance to amma, not any benefit.
I shook the handle of the kitchen door to open it. You may think uncharitably that my hand was shaking in any case. When I opened, I did not see the monkey where I last saw it. The storeroom was open too and I thought that it must have entered there. (If it were Hanuman, it ought to have gone there in right earnest as it is pooja room as well). I was afraid to enter and find out. What if it pounced on me as I peeped? I made some sort of noise and banged the pipe on the door of the storeroom. Patti had brought another longer and sturdier pipe. I now had two pipes to fight with. In the event, I peeped and surveyed the room well, but the monkey was not there.
Then I went to the balcony. Amma was shouting from behind (to my rattled mind it sounded as gibberish) whether I had removed a half-litre packet of milk. I was disturbed by her voice and told her to keep quiet and not bother about the milk packet when I was fighting a life and death battle with a monkey. Patti butted in and asked whether we had left any milk for the monkey as it was drinking the milk outside. She gave a sagacious advice from her wizened old age that we should keep the doors closed. I told her to keep her advice to herself. It was still to dawn on me that the monkey had left our premises. Amma was still harping on the milk and I told her why she did not put it straight into the fridge. I also ticked her off for watching the TV in neglect of her work and threatened to smash the TV. She started to say something, but I outshouted her and she knew better not to waste her breath. The altercation thus died young.
I realised late that the monkey was playing guest (my coinage, in case you have not already given me the credit for it) and looking for breakfast and did not come for human blood wantonly. However, I do not recommend to anyone to entertain monkeys for breakfast. After all, the recent visitors to Taj and Trident went there not for breakfast, but for human lives!


Post Office


What an amusing experience it is to go to the post office! Here is an age-old institution that sticks to its original ways no matter what has happened around. Everything is done manually. The registers look like coming off loose leaf. They are stacked around the staff. The staff have developed a way of recognising them, like a mother cow would identify its calf, though to a dumb one like me they all look alike. What a good exercise for the arms, pulling them and putting them back! What a relief to the eyes which do not have to face electron beams!

I envy the efficiency and the courtesy of the staff. They are in the seats at the appointed hours and do their work non-stop. What a sea of difference from the banks!

I went to draw the monthly interest as a ‘messenger’. People ask me what I do in retired life. Why, I act as a messenger for my wife! She was the payee in all the slips that were filled in for drawing the interest and she authorised me as her ‘messenger’ to get the cash. Let no one take the word ‘messenger’ to be slighting. Great souls are called ‘divine messengers’. You may chuckle that I am comparing wife to ‘God’. These are changed times. Previously husbands were to be considered ‘Gods’. I have no way of saying whether it was honoured or not. But, now wives are to be considered ‘God’. At least you have one example that it is taken seriously.

Even as the person before me was in the midst of transacting his business, the counter staff took my slips, added the amounts mentally and enquired whether I was to get Rs. 6500 (it was Rs. 6470). I nodded and he replied that there might not be enough cash. He suggested that I come the next day or take a chance till 3 PM when he would take the collections at other counters and pay me if possible. I decided to wait. One way of spending retired life and a way to build my patience, though belatedly!

I stepped out and had to get back as Anbumani’s persona non grata (smokers) were puffing out nicotine that I had no intention of imbibing. To while away the time, I started reciting something. After the queue in front of the counter spirited off, I sat in a chair. The Post Office did its planning meticulously to ward off unwanted occupants in the chairs. The first two chairs, which were a little away from the counter, were kept busy with a lot of files and papers. The one next was so dirty that sitting on it might infect you with any disease. The last chair which was alright by P.O. standards could be occupied only when there was no queue at the counter.

I suddenly felt an impact on my hand. I turned to see that a gentleman had sat on the adjoining chair flailing his limbs beyond its boundary. I adjusted to cause no inconvenience to the esteemed customer of the P.O. He got up and went away quickly. It was so considerate of him.

As it was close to 3 PM (I was looking at the clock every minute), I was getting anxious. Another customer came with slips like what I was holding. The staff asked him whether he was depositing money or withdrawing. He said that it was withdrawal and that the amount involved was Rs. 2500. The staff told him that there might not be cash enough and pointed out to me and said that I was waiting. The customer was an optimistic soul and requested ‘Nodi’. I got up to make sure that my slips got priority. The staff went to the other counter, brought some cash, augmented it with cash taken out from the handsafe by the postmaster and worked on my slips. Finally, I moved out of the P.O. at 3:30 PM with cash.

What an achievement and what a noble way to spend retired life!


23/1/17
I took an auto. On the way, a motorist took a right turn blindly ahead of the auto and dashed on it. He stopped, came out and looked at the damage to his car and the auto. The auto driver also inspected. No altercation! The motorist, a young man, pulled out his purse and offered some cash. The auto driver refused. He said coolly that there was already damage to the auto. The young man tried to force it, but the auto driver would have nothing of it. 
When he dropped me, I paid him 70 as the metre showed 66. He promptly shelled out the change, something the auto drivers normally do not have.
We perhaps get rains still because of such people.

3/3/18
I am trying to cross near St Joseph’s college. As the signal does not seem to be on, I walk up to the policeman. He puts his hand out and walks across escorting me. I thank him wondering whether it is a dream.
I look for Sundaram Mutual Fund in Phoenix building, but it is not there. I ask a person in the stairway, and he suggests that I try in another building a few yards away. There also there is no trace of it. I ask a gentleman. He goes out of the way to find it for me using his mobile and calling a few numbers. Then, he looks around for the watchman who just returned from lunch. He says that they had moved near Trinity Church.
A good day when I met people who try to help. Never mind that I did not go to Trinity Church.

9/12/17
I waved but many autowalas ignored or refused as the distance was short. One stopped and took us in. He did not turn on the metre. He put his hand on it, but withdrew and murmured inaudibly something. I did not press as I know the fare.
The driver saw me talking to my wife in Tamizh and started a conversation. He said that there was too much evil, injustice and strife in the world and gave a laundry list of sufferings. He asked me why it was so and answered himself that it was because we have man’s rule on earth. He assured me that soon god’s rule would come and there would be no suffering. I suggested to him that even now there is only god’s rule and suffering will be part of life and without problems life would not be there. He brushed me aside and said that it is man’s view. I looked at him and he too looked like a man only.
He kept haranguing at every signal when the auto had to wait. But, as in life, in journey too there is an end mercifully. I paid him more than the normal fare in appreciation of his taking us when others refused.
As I got down, I saw the name ‘Emmanuel’.
That is mobile evangelism.



I attended briefly the new year party in a complex. The compere was a young girl dressed queerly. She asked a girl her name. The girl said Samskriti. She asked the girl the meaning of the word and the girl replied culture. The compere asked her to tell about Indian culture. The irony was loud.
The music was thunderous making the whole body shake as in an earthquake. It is a wonder how they call it music. Long back I attennded Rolling Stones performance. The name was apt. Rolling stones might have been sweeter perhaps.
After every performance she said it was fantastic, awesome, and such things, making me wonder whether she was a dictionary or human being knowing the meaning of what she uttered.
After the first two performances, I left to save my ears and heart. The immediate reason was that the performance of my grandchildren was over.
My daughter was saying that a friend of hers was expecting a child. My grandson asked, ‘How is it known? (eppadi theriyum)?’ My daughter smiled and said, ‘They told us.’
roceedings or the rigmarole of the occasion were indeed a hindrance.
After the function was over, one boy said, ‘It was such a bore. They could have given it in the next class.’
Children love play, excitement, animation, fight, chat and what not.
I made no noise and heard no meaningful syllable. After the event, I found myself alone as everyone left me dreaming, a favour conferred on old age. Luckily I knew the way back.
I collect flowers on the way to buy milk. As I was plucking the flowers from the tree, a young boy (less than 5 perhaps) picked one from the ground and offered to me. I took it from him with a smile and said, ‘Thank you.’ The next day again, he looked at me and pointed to other flowers in another plant. He was happy to be part of the life he was observing. I wondered whether it is for good that we chain them in school and cram into their heads humpty-dumpties. The school bus arrived and he was lifted and taken into it. I saw the name of the school on the bus, ‘Freedom International’ Good joke!
 wanted to get a grandson and his wish was answered and he was all joy. In Madurai, an old lady in mid-eighties takes care of the home when he goes there. His son lives with his mother in Chennai, he said.
Then, he said that his elder brother died in an accident at the age of 29. His father was shattered and died of grief a year later. The wife of his brother and a year old child were left to be cared for when his brother died. His mother was also there, who died at 94 years of age. He devoted himself to taking care of all of them. A family of his own would have cut into this duty, he said. He added, 'I do not call it sacrifice. It is duty.' The son, he referred to is his nephew.
He would have shared more information. But, my legs rather than my ears got tired. I invited him to come home some time and took leave.
I went across to buy medicine and was waiting to cross over. The fruit vendor asked, 'When will madam return?' His wife added, 'It was lively with her around with a number of people turning in for yoga (bhajan actually).' Their warmth was touching. I do not even buy fruits from them and they owe nothing to me. Is not life rich with such fellow-feeling that is spontaneous?
I returned for reuse the plastic bags in which the lady flower vendor supplies flowers. She remarked, 'Are they clean? Hope no flower petal is stuck inside, in which case I cannot use it as my customers use the flowers for puja.'
I stopped an auto and told the driver our destination. He demanded a fixed fare which I refused. I did not quite hear what he said after that. I imagined that he wanted meter plus something. My wife informed me that he was agreeing to go by the metre.
That brought to mind a story my mother told me as a boy, something she must have read in a magazine.
A deaf one (that was the normal expression sixty years ago) planned to visit a friend who was ill for some time. He visualised (his sight was in order!) how the meeting would go. “I will ask him how he is and he will say ‘better’, and I will express satisfaction, I will probe about his diet, and he will say some porridge, and I will recommend to continue it, and I will ask him who his doctor is and he will mention some renowned doctor’s name and I will endorse it.” He went and the actual interview took the following pattern:
“How are you?”
“There is some deterioration.”
“Glad to hear. What diet do you take?”
Irritated, the friend exploded, “Mannangatti (clump of mud).”
“That is the proper diet. Keep it up. Which doctor are you consulting?”
“Yamadharmaraja.”
“He is the best doctor. Follow his advice.”
That answers my curiosity about how my listeners take my responses!

The Rat!
This happened more than a decade ago in Jaipur.
We were sleeping in a house that had six openings to outside. Suddenly I felt someone caressing my feet. I asked my wife whether she touched me and she denied sleepily. I consoled myself that my imagination was running riot. I tried to sleep, but a second time I felt something disturbing my feet. I could no longer blame my hallucination. It was physical, not psychological. I switched on the light. 
All was quiet but it looked eerie. 
I remembered my granny narrating how a cat caressed and bit her leg in the village. She imagined the cat bite was hurting her all through life. 
After several anxious moments, the cause of the nocturnal overtures became known. It was a rat. As I wrote, the openings to the rat were many, but they find some subterranean route in any case. That was not relevant. I was proceeding like my service days' practice - probing accountability as the security and chances of recovery deteriorate meanwhile.
We became active in expelling the rate. We closed as many ways to remain locked down inside as possible. We succeeded in cornering it to the bathroom and as it happened, it fell in the commode and the smooth surface was slippery for its climb. Not to take a chance, I closed the lid of the commode under the supervision of my wife.
I called the watchman for removing the rat safely to a place from which it may not find its way. He said plaintively, 'Maim brahman hoom.' The right man for last rites! He arranged for the rat to be removed, dead perhaps. Not sure if it was escorted to heaven under the power of some mantra. 


Jun 6

The clouds loomed in the horizon. The heat was still insufferable. Slow drizzle fell rhythmically on the windshield. A furlong from the guesthouse. Precipitation gathered in momentum. While getting off the car, the rain drops were big and drenched you partially. The wind speed was increasing. Rain was lashing. It was lightning one moment and thunder came the next. The thunder was deafening. Why did the clouds become so suddenly boisterous? Pent-up pressures? The gale and rain snapped the electric cables because of falling trees. It was dark. It was hot and breathless inside. Two more hours before the connection would be restored, we were told. There was no way but to sweat it out. The order returns at midnight. Life goes on. It dawns. Another day. Another experience. Not quite different. Life appears to be a meaningless repetition of whimsical moments, fleeting feelings and tentative action. It might be worse otherwise!

May 4, 2016 ·
Varanasi
I first visited Varanasi in 1974 when I performed rituals in Allahabad and Varanasi. But for the religious fervour I possessed, it was a depressing visit. The city was dirty, roads narrow, crowded and it was anything but holy. The three cities I saw on the banks of Ganga, Allahabad, Varanasi and Kolkata, did not make me feel reverence for Ganga. Later I saw Patna and it further turned my mind rebellious.
While in varanasi, an anecdote was said how some ruffian threw human waste on a person carrying heavy luggage. The person walked on homeward as the ruffians were trying to divert his attention so that they could bolt away with what he was carrying. That added to my chagrin.
Later I visited in the nineties twice. It was from bad to worse. A local took me to take bath in Ganga that was at the backyard almost. Human waste was mingling at the point and I skipped the holy bath and went and bathed in what was perhaps the same water through the tap.
I nearly missed the train once as the rikshaw was not able to move. It was less than a kilometer. I got down and struggled to walk to the station which was a settlement sort of. It took quite a while to live off that memory.
I do not think there is any holiness in unruly crowd and filth. Even though god is everywhere, he does not prevent us in going after him in clean places.






********************
When I go to buy milk in the morning, it is my custom to collect some flowers. As I was plucking flowers one day, a girl, who was returning rom walk in the park, smiled genially, plucked some flowers for me and went her way.
*********************
Living is fulfilling with such trivia.

Monkey plays guest



I was doing something in the kitchen and was engrossed in my work. I turned for a second toward the microwave oven, I do not remember why (when you read on you will understand how it might have easily slipped from my mind even if I had indeed a purpose for that), and what do I see there? A monkey, of course, seated comfortably on the platform next to the microwave in the space made for it, as it were, by amma. (She had removed the mixy in order to work on the grinder). The monkey had entered the kitchen unobtrusively through the balcony window kept wide open as an informal invitation to it, shall I say?
I have been dull-witted even in reading the minds of higher mortals like humans (I am confident that the monkey won’t read this and take umbrage at the statement that humans are higher mortals). How was I to divine what went behind the mind of a monkey? For all I knew, it was from Pakistan with hidden weapons of mass destruction. I did not know how to shoo it away. I sort of had learnt the noises to make in respect of crows (coosh), dogs (vettu), etc., but not for a monkey. It is a different issue whether the animals learnt the terms we coined for them. I was all nerves and thought at first of throwing the sugar container, but better sense prevailed even in that emergency that it would only sweeten the kitchen floor. Moreover, it was no match for WMD the monkey perhaps had in its arsenal. It would be more like the soldier in ‘Arms and the Man’ of Shaw, carrying chocolates in his pocket in the place of bullets.
I decided that I should rush out of the room (having worked in a reputed institution for a long time, it has got deeply ingrained in me that fleeing the scene of conflict is the most discreet step to be taken by an astute manager) to look for a stick. My sense was with me and I remembered that patti usually kept some stick with her. My plan worked. I saw an acrylic pipe used as a stick by her. I took hold of it and returned to the scene of action.
My mind was not idle meantime. The discourse of one Sastrigal on Ramayana flashed in my mind. He was narrating how, during one such discourse, a monkey entered and occupied a vantage point. He felt unsettled as also the audience. The monkey sat through quietly for some time and then slunk away without inflicting any harm. The audience came to terms after the menace disappeared to conclude that it was Hanuman who came on the scene. The Sastrigal recited a stanza that says that wherever Ramayana is narrated, Hanuman is present. I did not want to leave anything to chance. Maybe Hanuman was pleased to pay a visit to our house also though Ramayana was not even in my mind at that time. Nevertheless I recited a sloka praising Hanuman in my mind. All this happened in a trice.
When I returned I saw amma slamming the door of the kitchen. She perhaps thought that she was confining the monkey in the kitchen as if she was Mumbai police catching Kasab. I was furious. How could she leave the kitchen at the sole disposal of the monkey? (The thought of Hanuman had flashed out as easily as it came).
We have the philanthropic practice of leaving everything in the kitchen open for flies and mosquitoes, ants and cockroaches. Now one more species has been added in the list of our donees. The monkey would have a field day, I thought in anger. Anger was my surrogate emotion for fear. In physics we have read about the transformation of one form of energy to another, which has made several inventions possible. We can in like manner transform one emotion to another, though the simile falls short of completeness as in my case it resulted in annoyance to amma, not any benefit.
I shook the handle of the kitchen door to open it. You may think uncharitably that my hand was shaking in any case. When I opened, I did not see the monkey where I last saw it. The storeroom was open too and I thought that it must have entered there. (If it were Hanuman, it ought to have gone there in right earnest as it is pooja room as well). I was afraid to enter and find out. What if it pounced on me as I peeped? I made some sort of noise and banged the pipe on the door of the storeroom. Patti had brought another longer and sturdier pipe. I now had two pipes to fight with. In the event, I peeped and surveyed the room well, but the monkey was not there.
Then I went to the balcony. Amma was shouting from behind (to my rattled mind it sounded as gibberish) whether I had removed a half-litre packet of milk. I was disturbed by her voice and told her to keep quiet and not bother about the milk packet when I was fighting a life and death battle with a monkey. Patti butted in and asked whether we had left any milk for the monkey as it was drinking the milk outside. She gave a sagacious advice from her wizened old age that we should keep the doors closed. I told her to keep her advice to herself. It was still to dawn on me that the monkey had left our premises. Amma was still harping on the milk and I told her why she did not put it straight into the fridge. I also ticked her off for watching the TV in neglect of her work and threatened to smash the TV. She started to say something, but I outshouted her and she knew better not to waste her breath. The altercation thus died young.
I realised late that the monkey was playing guest (my coinage, in case you have not already given me the credit for it) and looking for breakfast and did not come for human blood wantonly. However, I do not recommend to anyone to entertain monkeys for breakfast. After all, the recent visitors to Taj and Trident went there not for breakfast, but for human lives!





11/11/18
He sells vegetables. Lean and of middle height, he owns a small tempo and is seen in the morning near the park. The walkers-cum-talkers stop by and buy vegetables when they return home.
He is not too educated, but knows enough Maths to count the money, enough economics how to price his goods, enough management as to what to trade that day, where to buy and how to transport it, enough inventory management skill not to carry over the perishable, enough articulateness to have minimal conversation with his customers.
One day, a customer haggled. He told him, ‘It is one price for all.’ Another day a customer suggested that he put placards of prices on the items. He said, ‘Not done.’
He trusts people and does not mind being paid later or giving the change later. He does not ask. You return and he says, ‘OK.’ You demand the deferred balance and he gives without any demur.
He seems happy. He did not complain even when demonetization dampened business.
He earns to live and his possessions must be modest. He may not have any superannuation package, maybe not even superannuation. He may believe or may not believe in god. But, he is not in knots as to why we live and what will happen tomorrow, let alone after death. From my convoluted brain, it seems that his life is spiritual. I may be making up a story, but I like it.

No comments: