Thursday, December 04, 2014

Awareness

From FB:
John Paily: “When I see a rose, there are two objects in my awareness. There is the external rose. This rose I can share with anyone else who may be looking at it; it is public. But along with that external rose there is a thought—the meaning I give to the experience of the external rose. This thought is internal and private. Only I am aware of it. My brain could be wired to EEG machines, opened up through surgery, or explored by magnetic resonance imaging for all to see. But no instrument could convey to anyone else the thoughts my internal awareness of the rose evoked” Amit Goswami
My reply - Well said. it is the experiencing aspect of life - It differs from one person to another - it speaks of our identity, a space-time location in the whole of which we are part- Spirituality that ancient spoke is an experience of God - the creating and sustaining force.

My comments:  It is wonderful. But I wonder what neurological experts will say. (Effect of my reading V S Ramachandran). While it is true the thought cannot be detected, if expressed, it may be explained by some link with development and updating of brain, its circuitry, etc. In fact, I find that much of what rationalists do is such explaining (rationalisation). Apart from space-time specific of an individual, there must be some 'historic' connection perhaps, and the curious ways of association of ideas, we see in children much to our amusement, may have a part. It is a looping interconnectedness between the individual and his immediate contacts of the universe, that vary between individuals (cf. John Paily above), something we may take eons to unfathom.

No comments: